Eight new substances were proposed by various EU member states and the commission to the REACH Annex XV. These came from Germany, Sweden, & Finland and have a deadline for comments. Next step is potential add to the Candidate List.
The substances and examples of their uses are:
- octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane(D4) (EC 209-136-7) – used in washing and cleaning products, cosmetics and personal care products and polishes and waxes;
- decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) (EC 208-764-9) – used in cosmetics and personal care products, polishes and waxes, washing and cleaning products and textile treatment products and dyes.
- dodecamethylcyclohexasiloxane(D6) (EC 208-762-8) – used in polishes and waxes, washing and cleaning products, and cosmetics and personal care products;
- ethylenediamine(EC 203-468-6) – used in adhesives and sealants, coating products, fillers, putties, plasters, modelling clay, and pH regulators and water treatment products;
- terphenyl hydrogenated(EC 262-967-7) – used as plastic additive, as solvent, in coatings/inks, in adhesives and sealants;
- lead(EC 231-100-4) – used in metals, welding and soldering products, metal surface treatment products, polymers and heat transfer fluids;
- disodium octaborate(EC 234-541-0) – used in antifreeze products, heat transfer fluids, lubricants and greases and washing and cleaning products;
- benzo[ghi]perylene(EC 205-883-8) – not registered under REACH; normally not produced intentionally, but rather occurs as a constituent or impurity in other substances.
The deadline for comments is 23 April 2018.